Supreme Steel is currently looking for a motivated and highly efficient individual to join our team in the position of Estimator at our office in Acheson, AB. This position is primarily responsible for all aspects of preparing and completing accurate and timely full-cost estimates and responses to customer requests for budget prices and quotations for projects. The Estimator will work alongside our Business Development team and management to prepare compelling bid proposal packages that address the customers and client’s requirements as part of an overall “bid to win” strategy.
This position will be responsible for, but not limited to, the following:
- Review and interpreting bid instructions, project specifications and standards, bid schedule, scope of works.
- Prepare thorough and accurate take-offs, including material, engineering, detailing, QA/QC, labor for both shop and field, transportation, and equipment.
- Communicate with and evaluate different subcontractors/suppliers to get the most cost-effective prices, reliable sources of material and availability information.
- Liaise with customers during bid development to ensure bid strategy is aligned with customer expectations.
- Coordinate, consult and communicate with engineers, architects, owners, contractors, and subcontractors as necessary.
- Review commercial terms and conditions (outside of legal contract review) and negotiate appropriate alternatives as necessary.
- Be able to develop timelines and plan out project milestones with all departments.
- Suggest cost-saving alternatives or value engineering options to clients without compromising the structural integrity or safety of the project.
- Maintain detailed records of all cost estimates, vendor communications, and project-related documents. This documentation is essential for accountability and project audits.
- Support project managers through provision of assessments and pricing changes on projects
- Collaborate with all the departments internally to discuss the strategy and form the team.
- Identify and collaborate with others on the development and implementation of efficient processes and tools for estimating.
- Identify and assess the potential risks and uncertainties that could impact the cost of structural steel, develop contingency plans to mitigate these risks.
- Stay updated on industry trends, changes in steel prices, and improvements in estimating techniques to continually improve accuracy and competitiveness.
Having proven experience with structural steel fabrication and erection projects, the successful candidate will also possess the following attributes:
- Experience in an Estimating role demonstrating strong technical knowledge and skills formulating cost estimates for lump sum, unit prices, and cost-plus contracts.
- Demonstrate knowledge of Contract Law and Risk Management.
- Strong knowledge of industrial specific shop and field labour productivity values.
- Solve problems and contribute new ideas that improve quality and efficiency.
- 3+ years of experiences in structural steel estimating or structural steel detailing
- Exceptional client-facing and internal communication skills, written and verbal.
- Strong organizational and time management skills. Be able to organize and prioritize tasks.
- Good understanding of steel fabrication processes
- Excellent analytical skills
- Strong attention to detail.
- Competence in Microsoft Office Software.
Supreme Steel offers a competitive salary, a comprehensive benefit package and RRSP plan as well as a great learning environment and the opportunity for career advancement.
Closing Date: 15/10/2023
To apply, please email your resume and cover letter to Human Resources at SG.email@example.com